Navigate Up
Sign In
Santa Ana College
Contact Us

Financial Aid and Fee Waivers

In addition to VA benefits, Veterans and/or dependents may be eligible to receive Federal aid, State aid, and Scholarships. 

Click here for the Financial Aid Overview (pdf) presentation


For eligible California residents, the BOG Waiver permits the $46/unit fees to be waived.  This does not cover assistance for remaining fees such as health fees, parking, purchase of books, and supplies.  The Board of Governor's Fee Waiver form is available in the Veterans Resource Center or at the Financial Aid Office.  You must turn it in to the Certifying Official in the VRC or a staff member in the Financial Aid office for processing.  Each academic year application is effective beginning Summer through Spring.
If ineligible based on the basic BOG Fee Waiver application, students may still qualify for the BOGW based on the FAFSA application.  Ask the Financial Aid Office which year is applicable for the term you are applying for the Waiver.  The FAFSA has a higher income ceiling.  Please don't get discouraged if you don't qualify through the simple BOG Waiver Method.  Apply through the FAFSA, many can qualify through this method.


Apply online at:
If applying for the first time, you can sign it by applying for a federal PIN at the end of the application and entering the newly created PIN on the application before submission.  Otherwise, if you forgot your federal PIN or need to re-establish it, please visit the PIN site at  You could also just print out a signature page and mail it to the Federal Processor.
Santa Ana College’s School Code, if SAC is your Home school:  001284
The following programs are administered by SAC:
(The following amounts are based on the 2013-2014 award year)
Federal Pell Grant
The Pell Grant is the foundation of financial aid for undergraduates who demonstrate need.  The amount of Pell received depends on the Expected Family Contribution and the number of applicable units enrolled.
$575 to $5,550​

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant​
FSEOG is for students who are Pell Grant eligible, enrolled at least half-time (6 units) and demonstrate exceptional financial need.  Awarded based on availability of funds.  Students must be enrolled in at least 6 units to be considered.

Federal Workstudy​
FWS allows students to earn money while attending college.  Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 units), be Pell eligible and demonstrate exceptional need.  Awarded based on availability of funds.  Must contact the Financial Aid Office for current filing deadline for consideration of this award.
up to $3,000​

Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver  
The BOGW waives the enrollment fees if the student is a California resident and meets one of the following conditions:
- Method A: Student (Parent/s if student is dependent) is receiving TANF/ Cal WORKS benefits, SSI or General Assistance, Current proof of benefits is required.  
- Method B: Student income (Parent/s' income, if student is dependent) Meets the household size and income bracket determined by CSAC.
- Method C: Determined to have need. ​

unlimited units​
(no cash award)
CalGrant B (GPA verification required)​
Cal Grant B may be used at community colleges and universities.  The grant is offered to qualifying students who are residents of California.  The award is based on criteria set by the California Student Aid Commission.  Students must have submitted the FAFSA and CPA Verification by deadlines.
up to $1,473
CalGrant C
Cal Grant C is based on the FAFSA and student's GPA. It is for students who wish to obtain a vocational certificate and/or associate degree that leads to a recognized occupational goal.  This is for students who do not plan to transfer.​
up to $547​
Federal Subsidized Loans​
Students must be enrolled in at least 6 units to be considered.  U.S. Department of Education pays interest while borrower is in school at least half time; student must have financial need.
$500 to $4,500​
Federal Unsubsidized Loans
Students must be enrolled in at least 6 units to be considered.  Borrower is responsible for all interest while attending school.  financial need not required.​
$500 to $​6,000
Please be advised that the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy for financial aid is different from the VA's SAP Policy which adheres to the RSCCD catalog.  Please check with the Financial Aid Office at SAC on their SAP policy and for other specific questions about financial aid.  


If a student is Terminated or Disqualified from receiving Financial Aid due to not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress, a student may appeal.  Please click here for the Appeal Process.
New Federal Regulations Regarding Dropping All Classes May Cost You!
New regulations may require students to repay federal financial aid funds if they drop or withdraw from all classes or are dropped from all classes by the instructor due to excessive absence. Based on the date of the complete withdrawal or drop, the Financial Aid Office is required to determine the amount, if any, of 'unearned' federal financial aid received by the student. The calculation will begin by calculating the percentage of the enrollment period completed by the student as follows:
Number of days completed
Total number of days in the semester
The result will equal the percentage of the enrollment period completed. If more than 60% of the semester has been completed, students are considered to have 'earned" all federal aid funds received and no repayment is required (Loan funds will be subject to regular repayment schedules). However, students who have completed 60% or less of the semester based on the withdrawal date may be subject to repayment of funds. Students should plan their enrollment carefully to avoid repayment of federal student aid funds.


Please contact the Scholarships Office for more information:
            SAC     (714) 564-6478