The following is detailed information so that the Veterans Education Benefits Office at Santa Ana College can start the process of your certification:
To know which chapter you will best benefit from and which one you should apply for, please call the VA at 1-888-442-4551.
You can use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool by Clicking here to Learn about education programs and compare benefits by school.
Continuing students only need to fill out the Certification Request Formonce they're registered for the following term unless they change educational goals (See the Complete Checklist)
The passage of the State Assembly Bill gives priority registration to active duty members & reservists of the Armed Forces of the United States or former members who have been discharged within the last 15 years of the day before classes begin. Fill out a Priority Registration Request form at the Veterans Resource Center for eligibility. Please check with the VRC on how to get this benefit. Click here for more information.
Here are the first steps for you at the College:
- Apply to the college
- Attend the Orientation Workshop
- Make a Counseling Appointment - OBTAIN AN EDUCATIONAL PLAN, FOR YOUR VRC FILE.
- Register into appropriate classes
The following must be emailed to the SAC VRC once you're registered in your courses:
- Copy of Submitted Initial Application (with Confirmation #) or Certificate of Eligibility:
- Veterans (Chapter 30 & 33): *Form 22-1990
- Reservists (Chapter 1606 & 1607): Form 22-1990
- For Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31): Electronic Authorization is sent to SAC from by our Voc Rehab Counselor
- Dependents: Form 22-5490
- Dependents Transfer of Entitlement Post 9/11 Bill: Form 22-1990e
- (*Continuing GI Bill® Chapter 30 recipients opting into Chapter 33 will need to fill out Form 22-1990 again and re-apply)
- Need help about which Education Benefit you should apply for? Click here for a comparison tool of the different Chapters.
- If transferring into SAC:
- Transfer Veterans who've used benefits before: Form 22-1995 (for the pdf version, click here)
- Transfer Dependents who've used benefits before: Form 22-5495 (for the pdf version, click here)
Continuing students from SAC who are currently receiving benefits need only to fill this one form to renew their benefits for the next term, assuming their educational plans and program of study in file remains current or Official Academic Transcripts from other colleges have yet to be evaluated in Admissions & Records.
Other forms requested as stated on the Checklist
This includes copies of complete educational plans made by a counselor; Official Academic Transcript evaluations from all previous colleges attended; copies of the application for VA benefits done online: Form 22-1990 or 22-1995 for Veterans and Active Duty; Form 22-5490 or 22-5495 for Dependents; and copies of other forms such as DD-214, DD-2384, or NOBE.
This includes responsibilities the Veteran/dependent has to keep and other helpful information on how the VA educational benefits work at the Rancho Santiago Community College District.
Lastly, submit the Online Certification Request Form. Go to the Forms Page for the most updated Certification Request form.
Applicants should seek information regarding eligibility from the VA Regional Office, Los Angeles, phone 1-800-827-1000 or 1-888-442-4551 or contact the local Orange County Service Center, Santa Ana phone (714) 567-7450.