Pass/No Pass encourages students to explore academic areas outside a major field.
1. Courses in the student's major field may not be taken under the Pass/No Pass policy except for major courses for associate degrees for transfer, courses for which Pass/No Pass is the only grading option, and units earned through credit by examination or assessment.
2. Every university has a limitation on the number of courses/units that can be taken for Pass/No Pass and applied to graduation and may require General Education taken Pass/No Pass to be retaken for a letter grade. Universities sometimes prefer that students have letter grades in English, mathematics, speech, and critical thinking courses. Courses that meet major requirements at a university (other than major requirements for ADTs) typically must be taken for a letter grade. Also, Pass/No Pass grades could have a negative effect on scholarships and international students. In addition, students who plan to pursue graduate or professional studies later are advised to be selective in opting for courses on a Pass/No Pass basis. If the student is unclear about requirements, it is best to consult with a counselor before using the Pass/No Pass option.
3. Except as in item number one above, a maximum of 6 Pass/No Pass units may be carried during any one semester.
4. A maximum of 14 Pass/No Pass units is allowed for any degree program. This does not include units taken under credit by examination or assessment, or units earned in courses for which Pass/No Pass is the only grading option.
5. Pass/No Pass petitions must be submitted between the first and fifth week of the fall and spring terms or thirty percent (30%) of the term, whichever is less. Pass/No Pass status cannot be changed back to a letter grade.
6. Pass indicates a “C" or better
Covid-19 Pass/No Pass - Spring Intersession and Spring 2021
Due to the impacts of COVID-19 Santa Ana College has implemented the following temporary policies:
Allow students to file for P/NP until June 11, 2021 for the Spring Intersession and Spring 2021 terms.
Units taken as P/NP in Spring 2021 are not limited by the per-semester maximum nor count toward the per-degree maximum included in the Catalog and AR4232.
Allow students to take major courses as P/NP in Spring Intersession and Spring 2021. Before approving P/NP petitions, counselors will advise students about varying policies regarding P/NP from the UC and CSU, scholarships, graduate schools and for international students.
For Associate Degrees, units earned at another regionally accredited college or university on a Pass/No Pass basis during Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall 2020 will be counted toward the Santa Ana College degree requirements and will not count toward the limit in the Catalog and AR4232.
If you have any questions and would like to contact Counseling, please click here: https://sac.edu/StudentServices/Counseling/Pages/default.aspx
The items above shall supersede corresponding rules and guidelines in the Catalog and AR4232.