Sign In
Contact Us

Geology Degree and Requirements

Geology Degree (

The associate degree curriculum in geology prepares students for transfer to a four-year institution leading to a baccalaureate degree in geoscience majors. Geoscientists find employment with environmental companies that clean up and monitor pollution problems. Geotechnical companies also employ geoscientists to evaluate risk from earthquakes, landslides, and other geological hazards. Oil and mining companies employ geoscientists to find new resources. The federal, state, county, and city governments also employ geoscientists for many of the same functions, as well as geoscience research, and to monitor compliance with environmental regulations. Universities, colleges, and museums offer opportunities for teaching and/or research.

Units used to satisfy the Santiago Canyon College/Santa Ana College general education requirements may also be used to satisfy the Geology Degree requirements.

Major requirements for the associate in arts or science degree:

Courses ​Units
Geology 101, Introduction to Geology ​3
​Geology 101L, Introduction to Geology Laboratory ​1
​Geology 201, Introduction to Historical Geology ​4
​Geology/Environmental Studies 140, Environmental Geology
​Geology/Earth Science 150, Introduction to Oceanography ​3
​​Geology/Earth Science 150H, Honors Introduction to Oceanography
​Chemistry 219, General Chemistry/Chemistry 219H, Honors General Chemistry ​5
​Electives ​8
​Total 24
Recommended electives: Biology 211, 212, 214; Chemistry 229; Mathematics 180, 185; and any course numbered 100 or higher in Earth Science, Geology, or Physics, except Earth Science 110 and 115 or Physics 109.


Santa Ana College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges, 10 Commercial Blvd., Suite 204, Novato, CA 94949, (415) 506-0234, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education. Additional information about accreditation, including the filing of complaints against member institutions, can be found at: