Sign In
Contact Us

Earth Science Degree

Earth Science Degree (​

The associate degree curriculum in Earth Science prepares students for transfer to a four-year institution leading to a baccalaureate degree in Earth Science or Geology. Please consult a SAC counselor for information about course requirements for particular four-year institutions. A baccalaureate degree in Earth Sciences may provide the recommended content preparation for students interested in teaching science at the middle school level or are planning to go to law school in the area of Environmental Law or Public Policy. Students may also gain skills necessary for opportunities with Geotechnical or Environmental consulting firms or with government agencies such as the National Park Service.

Major requirements for the associate in arts degree: 

Astronomy 110, Introduction to Stars and Galaxies ​3
​Astronomy 140, Astronomy Laboratory ​1
Chemistry 209, Introduction to Chemistry
​OR ​4
Chemistry/Physical Science 115, Physical Science for Educators*
​Geology/Earth Science 150, Introduction to Oceanography ​3
Earth Science 115, Earth Science for Educators*
Geology 101, Introduction to Geology ​4
Geology 101L, Introduction to Geology​ Laboratory
Geology/Environmental Studies 140, Environmental Geology​ ​3
Geology/Earth Science 150, Introduction to Oceanography​
​OR ​3
​Geology/Earth Science 150H, Honors Introduction to Oceanography
​Geology 201, Introduction to Historical Geology ​4
​Electives ​2
Total 24

 Electives: Geology 112, 162, 163, 164, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174

* Recommended courses for those preparing to teach middle school science.​

Santa Ana College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges, 10 Commercial Blvd., Suite 204, Novato, CA 94949, (415) 506-0234, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education. Additional information about accreditation, including the filing of complaints against member institutions, can be found at: