- Provide grant funds for access costs for low-income students in an amount not to exceed $1,648. This grant is to be used for living expenses and expenses related to transportation, supplies and books.
- Awards are guaranteed for those who meet the program eligibility criteria.
Who can apply:
- Students who apply by March 2nd of the year they graduate from high school or the following year
To be eligible for a Cal Grant B Entitlement Award, applicants must satisfy all of the following:
- Meet the Cal Grant Program general eligibility requirements
- Achieve a minimum high school grade point average of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Demonstrate financial need of at least $700
- Enroll in an undergraduate academic program of not less than one academic year at a qualifying post secondary institution
- All Applicants Must File a Cal Grant GPA Verification Form by March 2nd deadline.
How to apply:
- All Applicants Must File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
DEADLINE: MARCH 2, 2016
The FAFSA is the same application that is used nationwide for federal aid and other state and campus-based aid. The application has both a paper and electronic version and can be filed beginning January 1, 2016. The deadline for filing a FAFSA application for these awards is March 2, 2016.
For the purpose of applying to the Cal Grant Program, we would encourage all applicants to file an electronic application through FAFSA on the Web at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov
. Paper versions of the FAFSA are available at high schools, career centers, libraries, and college financial aid offices. Copies can also be obtained from the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243.
All Applicants Must File a Cal Grant GPA Verification Form
Applicants may obtain a 2016-2017 Cal Grant GPA Verification Form from high schools, and college financial aid offices. Applicants may also obtain this form by calling the California Student Aid Commission at (888) 224-7268 or go on-line to www.csac.ca.gov
. Forms are generally made available by late Fall.
When Will I Be Told Whether I Have Received an Award?
Applicants who filed a completed FAFSA and GPA Verification Form will be informed of their award status beginning in April of 2016.