Sign In
Contact Us

Certification and Licensure

Upon completion of the Occupational Therapy Assistant Program, students are eligible to become certified as an occupational therapy assistant and licensed to practice in the state of California. The national certification examination is given by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy.  In order to be eligible to sit for the certification examination, the candidate must have graduated, completed all necessary documentation for the examination, and have paid all associated fee.
Questions regarding the certification examination should be addressed to:
12 South Summit Avenue, Suite 100
Gaithersburg, Maryland  20877-4150
(301) 990-7979
Students who have completed all requirements and have applied for taking the national certification examination are eligible to apply for a provisional license to practice in the state of California through the Board of Occupational Therapy.  Students may work with a provisional license until they pass the certification examination for a maximum of 4 months.  A provisional license cannot be extended.
Questions regarding licensure in California should be addressed to:
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 2050
Sacramento, CA  95815
(916) 263-2294
Note:  When you write to apply for the certification examination with the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) you will be asked to answer questions related to the topic of felonies.  Application for state licensure with the Board of Occupational Therapy (BOT) requires finger printing.  For information about limitations based on felonies you are advised to call NBCOT and BOT  (address and phone numbers above) anytime prior to the application process.
Santa Ana College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges, 10 Commercial Blvd., Suite 204, Novato, CA 94949, (415) 506-0234, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education. Additional information about accreditation, including the filing of complaints against member institutions, can be found at: