SAC Engineering Programs, Engineering Careers, Labor Market*
At Santa Ana College we offer multiple Engineering programs and pathways that prepare students for a variety of engineering-related employment. SAC Engineering focuses mainly in the civil, mechanical, and
electrical engineering fields. However, the engineering transfer
program – specifically, the Engineering Associate Degree – is applicable to many other engineering fields as well (aerospace, environmental, biomedical, industrial, and many others).
SAC Engineering programs mainly lead to the following careers in engineering:
(1) ENGINEER - engineers design and build machines, systems, public works, and many modern essentials using science and math. Engineers are among the highest paid college graduates (median salary > $100k). SAC has an ENGINEERING TRANSFER program that prepares students to transfer to the university to complete their BS in engineering (needed to become an engineer).(2) ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN - are hands-on practical individuals who tend
to work in the lab, fabricate prototypes, conduct tests,
collect data, and report the results. Engineering technicians must know some drafting and design but must be good with hands-on fabrication, testing, and technical reporting. SAC has E NGINEERING TECHNOLOGY programs that prepare students to become engineering technicians.
- Degree required: BS degree in engineering
- Labor market data:
- Civil ($108k, 9.5% growth)
- Mechanical ($103k, 10.3% growth)
- Electrical ($112k, 12.1% growth)
- SAC Program: Engineering associate degree (& transfer to university to complete BS)
- Degree required: associate degree (or possibly certificate)