SAC Engineering Programs, Engineering Careers, Labor Market*
At Santa Ana College we offer multiple Engineering programs and pathways that prepare students for a variety of engineering-related employment.
SAC Engineering focuses mainly in the civil, mechanical, and electrical engineering fields. However, the engineering transfer program – specifically, the Engineering Associate Degree – is applicable to many other engineering fields as well (aerospace, environmental, biomedical, industrial, and many others).
SAC Engineering programs mainly lead to the following careers in engineering:
(1) ENGINEER - engineers design and build machines, systems, public works, and many modern essentials using science and math. Engineers are among the highest paid college graduates (median salary > $100k). SAC has an ENGINEERING TRANSFER program that prepares students to transfer to the university to complete their BS in engineering (needed to become an engineer).
- Degree required: BS degree in engineering
- SAC Program:
Engineering associate degree
(& transfer to university to complete BS) (applies to any engr field)
|Mechanical ($103k, 10.3% growth)||Civil ($108k, 9.5% growth)||Electrical ($112k, 12.1% growth)|
(2) ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN - are
hands-on practical individuals who tend to work in the lab, fabricate prototypes, conduct tests, collect data, and report the results.
Engineering technicians must know some drafting and design but must be good with hands-on fabrication, testing, and technical reporting. SAC has ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY programs that prepare students to become engineering technicians.
- Degree required: associate degree (or possibly certificate) in engineering technology
|Civil ($68k, 9.5% job growth)|
Civil engr technology)
|Electrical ($66k, 7.3% growth)|
SAC has no true electronics tech program but mechatronics does provide some training
(3) DRAFTER - produce technical drawings of design created by engineers.
Drafters must know industry-standard computer-aided drafting (CAD) software and drafting practices for their respective field. SAC has a variety of DRAFTING & CAD TECHNOLOGY programs that prepare students to become engineering drafters.
- Degree required: certificate or associate degree in drafting or CAD technology
(* Labor market data show median wages for CA and projected job growth (2016-2026) from