Zoom: Quick Start
If a transcriber is needed for the session, Email the request for a transcriber at least five (5) business in advance to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the session ID number, the date, start time, end time, and meeting title or name in the request.
ENABLE ZOOM IN CANVAS
To use Zoom in Canvas, it must be enabled and placed on the Course Navigation Menu. Click the Settings (1) link, then select the Navigation (2) tab at the top.
Locate the ConferZoom app in the list. Click the three dot menu (3) to the right, then select Enable (4) from the menu. Click the Save button at the bottom to save the changes. This will add ConferZoom to the Course Navigation Menu.
ZOOM HOME PAGE
Access Zoom by clicking the ConferZoom link on the Course Navigation Menu. The Zoom home page will have tabs at the top for the Event Calendar, Appointment Booking, Event Recordings, and Event Attendance. The Zoom home page shows upcoming events and has a calendar view.
Event Calendar is where meetings can be created or quick launched. Appointment Booking allows the creation of timeslots for Office Hours, Counseling or Tutoring for one-on-one student interaction. Event Recordings is used to access previously recorded sessions.
CREATING A MEETING
Zoom meetings can be scheduled or simply started. To start an unscheduled meeting, click the Quick Launch button on the top tool bar. To create a future meeting, click the Schedule button.
The Schedule Options will appear in the left sidebar. The meeting details that need to be completed include:
- Meeting Name
- Repeat: Allows for recurring meetings - Single, Daily, Weekly
- Time Zone
- Start Time
- Meeting Duration: Time allocated for the meeting
- Save: Saves the options and creates the meeting
Any scheduled meetings will appear under the Upcoming Events section on the left sidebar menu. Instructor will see a Prepare button which allows them to access the meeting platform without opening it to students.
Meetings created in Canvas will automatically send an invitation to all students enrolled in the course, and add a calendar reminder for the meeting to the course calendar.
MEETING TOOLS To access a meeting click on the meeting name on the home page, then click on the Join button. Once a meeting has started, there will be several tools available to the instructor. Hover towards the bottom of the screen to access the Zoom Meeting Toolbar.
- Mute: Allows the user to mute their audio
- Start/Stop Video: Allows the user to turn their web camera on or off
- Invite: Instructor can invite individuals to participate in the meeting
- Manage Participants: Allows the instructor to manage the participants with options to Chat, Ask to Start Video, Make Host, Make Co-Host, Assign to type Closed Captions, Rename, and Remove
- Polls: Polling tool allows instructors to enter a question and gather responses
- Share: Allows the instructor to share their computer screen (including options for computer audio), a portion of the screen, an iPhone or iPad, or content from a second camera
- Chat: Group chat for all users
- Record: Starts / Stops the recording of the session with options to record to the local computer or to the cloud
- Closed Caption: Allows the instructor to select who will provide closed captions
- Breakout Rooms: Create individual, private breakout rooms for a student or small group of students which can be assigned automatically or manually by the instructor
- End Meeting: Terminates the meeting session and removes all participants from the room