Introduction to Canvas
- (Newer versions of) Firefox and Chrome are the recommended browsers. Safari and Edge will work, but may not have full Canvas functionality and/or may not work reliably. Do not use IE (Internet Explorer), as it is no longer a supported browser.
- To access Canvas type http://rsccd.instructure.com in the browser address window.
- Log on using your Single Sign on and Password.
- First time users will need to accept the Canvas User Agreement.
- Canvas requires users to have an Open CCC account. Users who do not have one will be prompted to create on prior to being directed to Canvas. Instructions for creating an Open CCC account can be found on the DE website (www.sac.edu/DistEd).
LOG OUT OF CANVAS To log out of Canvas, click the Account link on the Global Navigation Menu on the left, then click the Log Out button. For security reasons, it is important to log out every time to ensure that no one else has access to the Canvas account.
GLOBAL NAVIGATION MENU The Global Navigation Menu is always located on the left side. The Global Navigation Menu provides links to the Account, Dashboard, Courses, Calendar, Inbox, Commons, and Help.
DASHBOARD The Dashboard is the first screen displayed in Canvas. The Dashboard displays course tiles for new and favorite courses. Courses can be accessed by clicking on the Course Tile. The right side bar menu shows the “To Do” list, “Coming Up” list (due in the next week), and the “Recent Feedback.”
CANVAS ACCOUNT SETTINGS Users can access the Canvas Account Settings by clicking the Account link on the Global Navigation Menu, and select Settings from the menu. In the account settings, users can add a profile picture by clicking the icon next to the name. Users can also add a secondary Email address and cell phone number for text notifications.
CANVAS NOTIFICATION SETTINGS Canvas Notification Settings control how and when Canvas notifies users. Notification Settings can be customized, either to all courses or individual courses. To access the Notification Settings, click the Account link on the Global Navigation Menu, and select Notification from the menu. Click the notification option to select for each item.
CANVAS HELP & SUPPORT
24/7 Live Canvas Help & Support Phone Number: Click the Help button on the Global Navigation Menu to find the Help number. Canvas experts are standing by to answer any Canvas questions and help resolve any Canvas issues. Both Faculty and students are encouraged to use the Canvas Help & Support line as their first line of support for Canvas.
- Distance Education Website:
- Online Training is available for both Faculty and Students:
- SAC Faculty Canvas Training workshop
- SAC Student Canvas Training workshop
- Self-Help Canvas Guides: The Canvas Guides provide Faculty and Students with self-help, “How To” documents and videos on a wide variety of Canvas topics. The Canvas Guides can be accessed:
- Directly at http://Guides.CanvasLMS.com
- From Canvas by clicking the Help button on the Global Navigation Menu, then selecting Search the Canvas Guides from the menu.