VA EDUCATIONAL AND VOCATIONAL COUNSELING HELP IS AVAILABLE FREE OF CHARGE if you meet one of the following conditions:
- You are a veteran or dependent eligible for educational benefits under a program that VA administers;
- You were discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions not more than 1 year ago;
- You are on active duty and 6 months or less remain before your scheduled release or discharge from service.
You may get counseling about any matter, including personal problems related to:
- Counseling to facilitate career/occupational decisions for civilian or military occupations
- Adjustment counseling to address personal problems that may interfere with achieving any educational or employment goal
- Educational/Vocational counseling to help you develop a training, educational or employment plan
- Explanation of test results, exploration of potential objectives and assistance in developing a successful program
What is discussed in counseling depends on you, your situation and needs. You can learn more about yourself; career opportunities and requirements; training possibilities; sources of financial aid; and how to carry through on plans that you make.
HOW TO GET COUNSELING:
Complete VA form 28-8832 available on the internet at www.va.gov/vaforms. Send it to the nearest United States Department of Veterans Affairs Office. You cannot submit this form through Vonapp. If you have received a DD-214, you should attach a copy of it, unless you are still on active duty or if you are applying as a dependent of a veteran.
VA will arrange for a counselor to meet with you. There no charge for counseling, but you will have to pay for your own travel.
****Be advised: This type of counseling is different from the Academic Counseling you get from a Santa Ana College Counselor. A SAC Academic Counselor can help devise educational plans for programs being pursued at Santa Ana College. Counseling through Chapter 36 can help you narrow down your options based on your specific needs and direct you to other Institutions other than SAC that suits your goals. If Santa Ana College is the direction you're going, then a SAC Counselor can help you with the specific Certificate, Associate Degree, or Transfer Program of your choice.